Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Okla-WHAT????

I hate Oklahoma.

Well, Hate is a strong word.

I severely dislike Oklahoma.

Better?

Here's why:
*It's not Florida. There's no beach, actually there is no body of water within...well, Houston is probably the closest.
* Weather is horrific. It's HOT. I know, I know, Florida is hot to. But I guarantee it is not as hot as Oklahoma. And at least we have the water breeze....and a pool...and the beach...
* NFL coverage? FORGET IT. I can't get information about the Bucs from anything! They don't even really cover NFL, it' usually in the back page of the sports. Here, College, even highschool football is a bigger deal than NFL. And when there is NFL coverage, it's about the Cowboys. The COWBOYS!!! Drives me nuts!
* I pay state taxes. I didn't realize how blessed I was to be living in a state that didn't take out state taxes.
* Sweet tea. Only those who lived their whole lives with sweet tea will feel for me on this one. Adding sweetener is just not the same.
* Driving down the road and seeing hay stacks, or barrels, or whatever you call them. It's country. I look at it and think "you know your in oklahoma when..."
* ORANGE BLOSSOMS!! When I was a kid, growing up in Florida, we had about 14 orange trees
in our backyard. I had to be at school at 7am, so when I would walk out of the house, you could smell the orange blossoms. They are flowers on the orange trees that are there before the orange comes in. They are the most sweet smelling fragrance ever. When I go back to Florida, I always hope that it's the right season for the orange blossoms to be out.
* There is nothing to do if you plan to stay out after 9pm. In Florida, there was always something to do. There were the lighted parks, the Crosswalk, the beach, even the movies and restaurants are open later. There are the golf course walks, Ybor City (except on the weekends) and there always seemed to be a sporting event going on. Here, NADA. (that's "nothing" in spanish)

*Sunsets. I don't even think Oklahoma has sunsets. No seriously. The only time you see the sun is when it's right over you, blazing hot. And if it is a sunset, it is nothing glorious and spectacular like florida sunsets. You don't even really see the sunset here, because their are so many buildings.
* Probably the worst thing about Oklahoma...No family. I saw a Dad and his daughter come into Mimi's today. It reminded me of when my Dad and I would go out on "dates." I saw a mom and her daughter hugging goodbye. It made me think of my mom hugging me. :) And this family came in with two boys and a girl. The boys were grabbing at the girls barbie doll, and the little girl was making her dad put the head back on. :) reminded me of my brothers and me when we were kids.
Now we're growing up, and our lives are changing. Kevin is married with a baby boy and one in the oven. He's been to different countries, and has fought in war. Terrence is a manager at his department at Publix, and it's hard to keep up with his busy life. And now I'm married. :) I'm happier than I ever could be, and yet I miss that familiarity of family. We don't hang out with a lot of people, just because we don't have a lot of time, or a lot of christian friends. Family is nice, because no matter who they are, what they do, or what they believe, they are family. Their blood. They come in a package that you didn't choose. They're a gift from God.
I cherish all the memories I have with my family, and hope for many more to come.
*oh and oklahoma is like mexico... don't drink the water!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love, just wait until we go and visit my home in NEW HAMPSHIRE!!!! I'm sure that your mind will change of the wonderful state NEW HAMPSHIRE is!!!! :) Dave

Kelly said...

Yeah, he's right, NH is WAY better than OK. (Although, forget the sweet tea thing--no such thing up there!)

And AL is too...they KNOW how to do sweet tea right! But I think your sunset problem is a city thing. I wouldn't doubt that they see pretty good ones out in the fields. We have awesome ones here in the country.

I miss the beach too, but I live very close to a huge lake that reminds me of my summers on Lake Winnepesaukee in NH. It's gorgeous. And even though they don't have the SAME flowers here, what they have is spectacular--totally beautiful.

So, I'm really thinking that the city is your biggest foe, but overall, FL and NH (and AL!--Gulf Shores!), are your better bet!

Why don't you two transfer somewhere?

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I mostly visits this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Lots of good information here ihmshaughnessy.blogspot.com. Let me tell you one thing guys, some time we really forget to pay attention towards our health. Let me show you one truth. Recent Scientific Research presents that almost 60% of all United States adults are either fat or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] So if you're one of these people, you're not alone. In fact, most of us need to lose a few pounds once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is not like piece of cake. You need to improve some of you daily habbits to achive weight loss in short span of time.

About me: I am author of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health expert who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under hard training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for fast weight loss.