Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Hinduism and Christ

I love reading about different religions. It fascinates me to see what people believe, how they believe, and why they believe it. Ever since a course I took in high school about world religions, I haven't been able to stop my fascination with religions. Some things I read make me inquisitive, some make me cry, and others make me laugh. Many times it feels as if my heart is cringing at the knowledge that they don't have the truth.
Now, I don't think a lot of people can have this fascination and still be so grounded in what they believe. Many people, upon studying or hearing about a different religion, would quickly be convinced that it is truth and convert. I think the Lord has given me an ability to discern and not be so easily swayed (mostly I just rely on reading the Word) 1 Pet. 3:15 "But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have."
So today when I opened up the paper, there was a front page article about Hinduism. At first I was a little frustrated, because our paper is sooo liberal. I don't think they would ever put a front page article about christianity. Well, the pictures showed them worshipping a figure, kind of like a buddha. After reading the article and seeing the pics, it dawned on me. That's what makes christianity so different than eastern religions. We worship a God we DON"T see. We worship a God that requires faith to believe in him. We have no figurines, not sculptures, no ceremonial duties to perform before an idol. If I want to go before the Lord, I don't have to go to a temple to do it. I can approach him right now, wherever or whatever I am doing. There are no laws to approaching the Lord, like the Hindus have in approachi
ng their gods. I can approach him with "a sincere heart, in full assurance of faith."
It's feels good to know that at the end of the day, when all is said and done... you know that you know, that you know, that Christ is Lord. :)

3 comments:

Kelly said...

"Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krakower (sp?), was an interesting read about Mormons. Danny started it and thought it was sick, but I thought it was just a reflection of their religeon, and it was informative. There was a modern day crime woven into historical stuff. It definately kept me reading.

Chrystal said...

I'll have to look for it. "out of Mormonism" (not sure the author)is a true account of a girl who got very deep into the mormon way of life, and then became a christian. Very interesting and informative as well on the way mormons believe.

Pamela said...

If you have faith as small as a mustard seed...nothing will be impossible for you. MATHEW 17:20

Reminds us how much God gives us and how little he asks in return. One of my favorites. :)