Thursday, October 19, 2006

Trip to NH!

Pictures are working! This means that I get to write about NH!!!

This is the house that David's parents live in, and the house that he lived in for four years before he left for college. It was fun to see where he grew up. He kept saying things like, "here's where I paced the street when you told me you got a tattoo" (I didn't, it was a big joke between Danielle and I) He kept reminiscing about times we had talked and where he was sitting, it was really cute, and gave me a glimpse into our past as well. :) I love historical things, things that are really old. His mom told me that the house was 115 years old, which I thought was just amazing. Now it is a two family home, split right down the middle. That's how most of the houses are in Manchester, since all the houses are massive.




***
The day after we got to NH, we went to an apple orchard and did some apple picking. It was so much fun, and it was neat to see all the different types of apples you can grow. The way you pick apples is that you get this long pole, and on the end of it is a bag with little claws all over it. You just stick the bag up there next to an apples, twist a little bit, and the apples falls right into the bag! Dave climbed up into the tree and started grabbing some as well. After we picked the apples there was a little watchtower sort of thing, and we climbed up there, and you could see mountains forever! It was really beautiful because the foliage was surounding the mountains as well. The place that we went to was kind of like a farm. They had all these animals, like billy goats, roosters, bunnies. They were so funny. When you walked up to the billy goats they would start bleeting because they wanted you to throw them an apple core. The bunny had a weird ear, one went straight up, and one went straight down, he kind of looked like a helicopter.
After the farm, we went to this place called the shaker village. This is where the shakers lived for 200 years. They were very skilled craftsman, and pretty much lived seperated from society. Unfortunately, they weren't that smart, because they believed in Celibacy. Which means that the last shaker died in 1992. I thought this was so funny, because wouldn't they realize that their race was going to die off!? We at at a restaurant called the shaker table restaurant. This food was SOOOO good. I had mac n cheese, but it was made with sharp vermont cheddar and had garlic in it, with penne pasta. They gave you fresh homemade bread with it and the best apple crumb stuffing. It was so much food, and we were sharing, because the food was so unique. Davids parents got these sandwiches that had the bread dipped in eggs and grilled, and then there was turkey and tomotoes in the sandwich. But the twist was that they gave you a side of real maple syrup to dip the sanwich into. Who would have ever thought that would be good? But it was, and it was so much better with the syrup than without. Afterwards we drove to a really big lake, called Lake Winnipausekee. It was very New Englandish and had a little shopping area that we had fun walking around and Mom and I got some ICE CREAM!!!! Yummy!

***

The next day we went to Boston, MA. I had a field day here. It had tons of historical sites and readings, and I could have spent forever in this city. It was really busy and bustling, which I didn't like as much, but the historical things were really neat to see. There is no way you could see all of boston in one day, so next time we go, I already know the things I want to see. But we saw a lot. There is this thing called the Freedom Trail. It is a red line that goes all throughout the city, and you just follow it and it takes you to all these historical sites. It was really neat. We ate at this replica of the Cheers tv show, we ended up sitting outside though since it was such a beautiful day out.

***
Ok, so i've only gotten to the second or third day of our trip, and we were there for seven, so stay tuned for part two!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh... if ever I was homesick... Wow - looks like they gave you a great NH experience. Isn't it wonderful?? If I could live in NH from spring to fall and just visit in the winter I probably would but for now I just visit when I can.
say hi to Dave - love ya, your cousin in VA Beach

Chrystal said...

:) HI!!! I thought about you in NH, and wondered what you were up to! Thanks for visiting. I don't know what winter is like, but fall was amazing and I would love to visit for the winter someday! We did get to see some snow on top of the mountain we went up on, it was so beautiful!

Pamela said...

Chrystal, just love all the pics. It is so sweet hearing all about your trip. Love that your picked Apples. lol Growing up with 13 Orange trees and your Grandparents having 72 Apple trees, we all got tickled over that!

You share your love for History with your Dad. After talking on the phone today, Dad and I will probably make a vacation of going up to New Hampshire soon. It sounds lovely! Although, we kind of told Carol and her hubby Kevin we would see them next year too. Oh well, we'll see.

Can't wait to see part two! Great post! :) ((hugs))