Monday, September 11, 2006

Happy Birthday!!!

So it's the five year anniversary of Sept 11.

And it's also my Daddy's birthday!!!! So, i'll write about the thing that has impacted my life more.

DADDY!!!!!

My Dad is an amazing man, and I look up to him probably more than anyone else.

Where do I start? From a very young age I remember special things my Dad would do with me. He always made it a point to come tuck me in at night, and if it was really cold, he would give me a "Daddy tuck in
." Basically he would wrap me up like a pig in a blanket, but it kept me warm and I slept sound. To this day, my husband complains that I wrap up the blankets around me so tightly at night, I don't even notice it! I'm sure it's from all those days he tucked me in snug as a bug in a rug!

I grew up with two brothers, who were all boy. I was the baby girl, and my Daddy did a real good job at making sure I didn't feel left out. When the boys wanted to play football, I always got to be on Daddy's team, and he would toss me the ball, wrap the boys up in his arms, and say "run chrystal!" and I would take off and score. The boys would go crazy, saying it wasn't fair, and I would get the high five from Daddy. Made me feel on top of the world. Basketball wasn't any different. I remember Daddy would always lift me up to dunk the ball. The boys would get so frustrated. He may have bended the rules a little, but he always made sure I never felt left out.

When the boys started baseball, I started softball. Who would of thought that I would go further than them? Dad was my coach from the very beginning. I can't even count the number of balls he must have caught from me pitching, and I can't count the number of bruises I must have given him. He was always there for me when I needed a catcher. I think my best memory of softball wasn't even from me pitching, or winning a championship. We were playing a really hard team that was undefeated at the time, and my Dad put me in Centerfield. If any of you know me, that is just crazy cause I'm really slow, but I guess he knew what he was doing, because bases were loaded and their best batter was up. She hit it deep, and I just took off, closed my eyes, and dove for the ball. I caught it and once I came to, I ran into my Dad's arms and he twirled me around a couple of times. That proud look he had on his face is still engrained in my memory. :)

And who knows a dad that can recall about any game I ever played? I'm talking games from 10 years ago, my dad can remember who we played, how I pitched, crazy stats that I don't even remember the day after the game! :)

I think the best thing I learned from my dad was how a woman should be treated. From very young, he taught me that he opened doors for my mom, and I should expect the same. He would bring flowers home for my mom, and said someday someone would do that for me. (it's true!) He cared for my mom when she had her heart attack, and I saw their love grow so much during that time. I knew that I wanted a husband as caring and loving as my Dad.

I couldn't thank God more for the Dad that I got, and I wouldn't trade him for the world. Times have changed, but I still feel as close to him as I did then, and I don't know many girls who can say that. Recently my dad brought to my attention a song about a Dad's daughter who has fallen in love.
Look at the two of you dancing that way
Lost in the moment and each others face
So much in love your alone in this place
Like there's nobody else in the world

I was enough for her not long ago
I was her number one
She told me so
And she still means the world to me
Just so you know
So be careful when you hold my girl

Time changes everything
Life must go on
And I'm not gonna stand in your way
But I loved her first and I held her first
And a place in my heart will always be hers
From the first breath she breathed
When she first smiled at me
I knew the love of a father runs deep
And I prayed that she'd find you someday
But it still hard to give her away
I loved her first

How could that beautiful women with you
Be the same freckle face kid that I knew
The one that I read all those fairy tales to
And tucked into bed all those nights
And I knew the first time I saw you with her
It was only a matter of time

But I loved her first and
I held her first
And a place in my heart will always be hers
From the first breath she breathed
When she first smiled at me
I knew the love of a father runs deep
And I prayed that she'd find you someday
But its still hard to give her away
I loved her first
From the first breath she breathed
When she first smiled at meI knew the love of a father runs deep
Someday you might know what I'm going through
When a miracle smiles up at you
I loved her first
The words to this song don't do it justice, so here is a link... just click on the blue song title.
http://music.msn.com/album/?song=49206281&album=49173840#

I love you Daddy, Happy Birthday...and I know, I'll always be your little girl. :)

1 comment:

Pamela said...

Chrystal, just wanted to let you know how very much Daddy appreciated your sweet thoughtful words. He was so touched, that when I asked him if he would like me to type a response for him, I realized he was crying...You have blessed us so much Chrystal. You are indeed a wonderful, thoughtful and loving daughter. Thanks so much for remembering Daddy's b-day! :)

I think he wants to thank you in a more personal way. *smile*