Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Funny stuff

Guess who came into Mimi's this weekend?

Sinbad!

I haven't heard to much about him in the recent years, but I remember he used to be really big, and now he makes a living doing comedy. Well, he came into Mimi's Cafe three days in a row, and we all took pictures with him and it was a lot of fun. He ended up giving the managers tickets to go see his show. So Dave and I were able to go on saturday night to see him. He made a lot of jokes about Mimi's, all really funny and true if you know how Mimi's is. He was really clean, which we were happy about because we had heard so many negative things about him, like his language. But he didn't use one curse word, and everything was very tasteful.

He made jokes about night managers wanting to close early and kick people out.

I laughed so hard!

For those of you who don't know, I am the closing manager at my restaurant. I love closing, it's not as hectic as opening, and it gives Dave and I the same schedule. But sometimes we get late nighters, and I have to admit, I have wanted to kick them out a time or two.

I can't start any of my paperwork at night unless all the tables are closed out on the computer, and all the servers are clocked out. So if someone decides to stay past 11pm, it just means that I am going to be there a lot longer. Now I know they are trying to have a good time and enjoy themselves, but I always wonder if they think about us. Not only are they holding me back, but they are holding almost 10 other workers back from being able to go home and see their families.

It's actually funny, because I am the one who has to calm the bussers down if they get upset from people staying late. The bussers all work two jobs, they are up at five in the morning, and at Mimi's till midnight. They are the ones that get real upset if people stay late. But I'm trying to deescalate the bussers while I'm probably fuming just as much as them.

I probably make it worse than it sounds. But it's so important to Dave and I, that we won't go in a restaurant if they are within thirty minutes of closing. We just won't do it. We know that the kitchen is getting ready to close, and everybody wants to go home. So a word of wisdom, if you are going somewhere late at night, pay attention!!! Find out what time they close and please! Be considerate!!!

***
Dave and I went to church early this sunday. We ventured out to the nine o clock service. I know, what were we thinking! We actually wanted to go out to eat afterwards, and we just don't have enough time to go out to eat if we go to the eleven o clock service. We actually really enjoyed it. We both got soaked running out to the car, as it was pouring rain. And we were shocked that the service was as packed as it was. We knew the eleven o clock service was the busiest, and we figured the other services were barely full, but it came close to being as many people in the eleven.
I was a little dissapointed to see that the women's retreat that I go on is scheduled this year for when i will be in New Hampshire. I had such a wonderful time at it last year with Ashley, Megan, and Jess. It's actualy the weekend right before I go to NH, but there is no way I could take off extra days at work! But I know that New Hampshire will be 10 times more fun than the womens retreat! I'm excited!
We went to Cracker Barrel afterward and got the worst service ever. I won't go into it, because I don't want to get upset about it again. It was that bad!

4 comments:

Pamela said...

Sounds like you had a great time seeing Sindbad's comedy show. Nice that you can see your own humor at work! :) ((hugs))

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

I enjoyed visiting your blog, Thanks for blogging!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! How did I not know about this Sinbad thing earlier. Holy crap. You should have called I would have ran over there and jumped in the booth with him! lol

Anonymous said...

so if I show up one night unexpected would you treat me the same lil sis!
-Terry-berry